Prev: [semi-OT] Fighters and ST Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: [semi-OT] Fighters and ST Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

Fighters, Canadians, and GZG-ECC CanAm

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 20:11:47 -0400
Subject: Fighters, Canadians, and GZG-ECC CanAm

As author of the Canadian misfortunes at
CanAm, I can say:

1) Fighters have a per unit value that is non-
linear (as Brian so rightly pointed out). Few is
almost valueless, some is about right, lots are
overpowering (value wise). Note that very few
cannon ships have ADFC or enough PDS for a
high fighter environment.

2) I misinterpreted a piece of oblique
intelligence provided by the ref which should
have clued me in to the huge fighter assault. I
thought I was being denied information, the
truth is I was being given a fact in a roundabout
way. Mea culpa.

3) Our fleet was based around ripping out
everything that wasn't a beam 2 or 3 pretty
much or a ptorp. The idea was to throw the
max beam dice. One of my modified Komarovs
could throw an entire BRICK of dice (or pretty
close) at once. But the enemy took the fighters-
weak carriers fleet and correspondingly sent
out the fighters and hid the carriers. Only one
third of our fleet got within interception range,
and it met the remainder of 25 fighter
squadrons (about 15 or 16) and a few SML
salvoes all at once. By this time, the fighters
had killed our 6 squadrons of heavy
interceptors (we had fighters and good ones,
just not rafts of them) as well as about a third
of the fleet. Once again we see the problem
with ships only being able to fire at fighters
attacking them... it was interesting to watch the
fighters gnaw on them one at a time.

3) We're ground pounders (except for Jim) so
it was Adrian's first FT game and I've played a
couple of times but always with canon ships. Jim
had played before somewhat more, but always
with canon ships IIRC. And he missed the
slingshot around the planet. His fleet third took
no casualties, but nor did it get in range to fire
a shot. The guys against us mostly played FT
more than we had (I suspect) and some had
played with homemade fleets before.

4) Even the US players (well Mike and Aaron)
agreed the slaughter wasn't all that much fun.
In terms of competition, it was paper scissors
rock and they brought the dynamite. But they
didn't enjoy their victory because they could see
it wasn't much of a tense battle. If I hadn't of
dived my fleet into planet-skimming depths to
get inside engagement range, the battle would
have ended with Team USA killing about 1/3rd
of our fleet, taking only fighter casualties, and
us hypering out. That seemed a wimpy way to
end it, so I charged, all guns blazing, into the
teeth of the enemy with fighters on my heels
and destroyers, light cruisers, and such coming
at my front. The end result was Jim got away,
me and Adrian died grotesquely. But it wasn't
the most fun FT game I've ever played (no
one's fault, it just ended up that way).

5) Had I understood what Chris was trying to
obliquely hint at, the Komarov nearest the
fighter swarm would have been a Komarov E
with an ADFC and (yes, count them) 70 PDS.
That plus the DEs would have let Adrian throw
110 or so PDS dice versus the first fighter
attack. That would have probably slowed them
down significantly. Then our remaining 2/3rds
(sans inept piloting from Captain Bell of Fleet
Engineering Construction) could have beaten up
the carriers and escorts fairly well. But, it didn't
happen like that.....

I must admit the FT game that was just run at
Campcon was (I believe) much more fun for all
participants. Saw some exciting die rolling,
things died, and it was more balanced. (Of
course, we worked to make it so!). :)

Better luck next time (in the rules setup for the
CanAm - I'd suggest letting each team ask 2
questions of the ref about the other teams
designs then make some tweaks).

And maybe next year Jerry "Papers? I don't
need no stinking papers!" Han or one of the
other Canadian FT players will come down and
replace the Groundpounders since we were FAR
outside our element. :)

Tomb