Prev: Re: Leading from the front, reprise Next: Re: Sensors

Re: Sensors

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:05:03 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Sensors

Some very nice ideas here, just one bit where I can't help but
disagree/cpmment.

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Ryan Gill wrote:

> If we use Radar and Sonar as a reference here for
> principles. Passive Sonar will give you some general
> information about the vessel and allow you to get some
> pretty good ideas of what it could be. It'd be hard to get a
> specific ID on a specific vessels' hull number with passive
> sonar.

Actually, as far as id-ing a target is concerned, almost the reverse is
true for 'passive radar' (ESM). A good ESM suite, supported by a
well-filled ESM database, will give you a very solid ID of a target
based
on the target's emissions. So perhaps sonar isn't as good an example? In
any case, I wouldn't be surprised if modern day passive sonar has much
the
same capabilities?

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7E6yWJXH58oo6ncURAtvRAKDXuiAJlZGcgzDfB9JzjqtDEO2foACgsLYN
GB05KV8epDQx9+AmJq5Gxu0=
=9rTO

Prev: Re: Leading from the front, reprise Next: Re: Sensors