Prev: Re: [SGII] Suport Weapon fire and some other stuff Next: Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

From: Chen-Song Qin <cqin@e...>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 00:33:48 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

Hi guys, I ran into a problem on another mailing list and since it's
sort
of relevant to the subject matter here, here it is :)

I've been wondering about the acceleration that's placed on a projectile
fired from a modern high velocity tank gun, versus the acceleration
that's
placed on a projectile fired from one of those theoretical superguns
(conventional, not electromagnetic) that's supposed to shoot payloads
into
orbit.	I think that the acceleration placed on the orbital payload
would
be higher thank on the tank gun projectile.  What does everyone
think?	Calculations would be welcome :)

This is actually a question I had about the feasibility of launching
something delicate, like a satellite into orbit with a supergun.  It
seems
like the satellite would have to be specially hardened.  But even now
high tech missiles are being launched from tank guns which have
electronics comparable in complexity to some satellites.  So can regular