Prev: [FT] [DS] [SG] [BAR] CampCon: Rising Action Next: Re:[OT]-ish : Figure painting question

RE: [FT] WotW #9 Beam Bridge & E/M Sabot

From: "Brian Bell" <bbell1@i...>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:05:41 -0400
Subject: RE: [FT] WotW #9 Beam Bridge & E/M Sabot

Sorry,

Yes, I intended dropping the extra threshold rolls (it must have gotten
lost in quick edit) but keep the cascade effect if the bridge is lost.
If a Class-1 is lost, the bridge acts as 1 class lower. If the bridge is
lost, all connected Class-1s make a threshold check (6 to fail), the
remaining Class-1s act as normal. It also cuts down on lines drawn on
the diagram. With 4 CB1s the original concept would need 3 bridges - 7
symbols on the SDD. Would the beams be cross-linked to the various
bridges or would you limit it to 1 link per beam?With my suggested
alternative, there would be only 1 bridge (unless you added others as
backups).

Less flexible than the original. Less powerful. But more simple and less
rolling to fire.

Tradeoffs vs Larger Beam:
Cons:
 - More vulnerable to threshold checks.
 - 1st arc costs 1 mass (not free).
 - Cascade effect if bridge is lost.
Pros:
 - 1 mass per additional arc.
 - May split fire for close targets (Class-1s).
 - Limited PDS ability (Class-1s).

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com
ICQ: 12848051
AIM: Rlyehable
YIM: Rlyehable
The Full Thrust Ship Registry:
http://www.ftsr.org
---

From: "bbell1@insight.rr.com" <bbell1@insight.rr.com>

>Or Class the bridge. The mass/cost of the bridge is
>equal to the maximum class of beam that it can output with 1 arc.

>So if you have a Class-3 bridge it has a mass of 4. But you can combine
>3 Class-1 beams to have an all arc Class 3 beam. If
>you have a Class-4 bridge, it would mass 8, but could
>combine 4 Class-1 beams for an all arc Class-4 beam
>or 2 3-arc Class-2 beams (with the same arc) for a 3
>arc Class-4 beam.

This adds more complexity than I would like and has less flexibility.
Would you eliminate thresholds? I don't see buying this over another
beam

In the original concept, 3 bridged Class 2's (same arcs) can fire as one
class 4, or any two of them could fire as a class 3 if one got damaged
(assuming they were all cross-strapped - With alternate 1, if the center
beam was damaged, the outer two couldn't combine.

[snip]

Noam

Prev: [FT] [DS] [SG] [BAR] CampCon: Rising Action Next: Re:[OT]-ish : Figure painting question