Prev: Re: [FT] Can "Extra Damage Control Parties" be hit on Threshholds? Next: [FT] Level 2 Screens Minimum Mass

Re: [FT] Banked Weapons

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 07:44:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Banked Weapons

Very good answer, Let me just address a couple
of points...

--- agoodall@canada.com wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2001, David Griffin wrote:
>
> > In other words, a
> > class 3 plasma torpedo would be 3 pulse torpedoes
> > in one bank. They would fire together on one roll
> > and either all hit or all miss. Further, they
> > would only have one roll on threshholds, all going
> > out or all staying up.
>
> It's an interesting idea.
>
> > Would that be more powerful, less powerful, or
> > the same as buying the same number of pulse
> > torpedoes to fire normally?
>
> They aren't more powerful. What they are is more
> random.
>
> The odds are the same, ...
> It adds more randomness to the result. It's more
> "all or nothing". In previous posts you've mentioned
> that you don't like luck getting in the way of skill
> in FT's initiative system. This kind of weapon will
> introduce a greater luck element to the game.

That's true. What I'm trying to do though is to
make it feel a little like the Plasma torpedo
I ran from in SFB ;). In other words, when it
hits, I want it to hit hard. There are a number
of good plasma torpedo rules on the net, but I
don't think I can get my group to buy them, so
this is what I'm thinking of so far using basically
standard rules.

> As for toning them down, I think the single
> threshold check will more than compensate for them,
> if the mass and point totals are the same. The
> official word from Jon is that he's leaning away
> from requiring a dedicated fire control for pulse
> torpedoes, so that wouldn't be an issue. However, if
> I were allowing these kinds of weapon banks, I WOULD
> require a dedicated Firecon to fire a bank of
> torpedoes.

Also a good suggestion. This adds a little added
expense that would help balance things I think.

Prev: Re: [FT] Can "Extra Damage Control Parties" be hit on Threshholds? Next: [FT] Level 2 Screens Minimum Mass