Prev: Re: MT Heavy Missiles and Ship Defenses Next: RE: [OT ALERT] Coalition Warfare at it's finest <grin> And yes, this happens at 'home' too.

Re: Rescuing livestock

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 18:33:25 +1000
Subject: Re: Rescuing livestock

From: <devans@uneb.edu>
> However, I think the idea of a scenerio wasn't too far astray.
>
> The ancients(refering to the rule systems, not the posters ;->= )
wargaming
> memories not withstanding, I have some doubts that regular livestock
would
> be worth anyone risking their necks. Sustenance food production would
seem
> to be available by non-traditional methods (alga-hydroponics and the
like)
> at this point, and I'd assume that the livestock was originally
brought as
> gene-stock, decanted and grown at the colony.
>
> Not a simple or easily surrendered task result, but 'worth dying for'?
Ok,
> might be.
>
> Now, herds of specially-bred-to-local conditions stock, and highly
prized
> and expensive products of local conditions might be worth the attempt.

Have you read Cordwainer Smith's "Norstrillia"?

Old North Australia was the planet that provided the galaxy's only
supply
of anti-aging drugs - "Stroon". The drug was refined from the blood of
sheep that had been infected with a local micro-organism, causing them
to grow to immense size, have permanently runny noses, and be worth
a few solar systems each.

As you can imagine, the Norstrillian defences were rather good.

At the time he wrote it, Dr Paul Linebarger ( Cordwainer Smith ) lived