Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Brigade minis (was: Victory Class) Next: RE: [OT] Re: Brigade minis (was: Victory Class)

Re: [OT] Re: Brigade minis (was: Victory Class)

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:30:59 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Brigade minis (was: Victory Class)

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> We don't do a specific "Wings'n'Things" pack, but all of the
individual
> bits of all of our models can be bought separately (and we don't
charge
> a premium for this either - the individual parts of the model add up
> the selling price of the whole thing). At the moment I haven't been
able
> to get all of this information onto the website, it's a monumental
task
> to get all of the parts priced up for everything we make so I'm
working
> my way through slowly at the moment.
> ***
>
> Given the extra effort you just mentioned, along with what I assume
are
> logistic problems, such as mo(u)lds set up for blocks of parts or even
> complete figs, along with getting the list put together, both on paper
and
> on the web site, AFTER you're done pricing, makes 'premium' pricing
> something I never quibbled about.

We don't always get 100% of the models in a mould - there is always a
percentage of parts that are rejected as miscasts (or in some cases
don't cast at all). This means that we never have an exact number of
matching sets of parts for multi-part models anyway, so taking out odd
parts if someone wants them doesn't mess up the system (unless they want
a very large number - which has not yet happened).

As far as the website goes, I spent a few lunchtimes writing a web site
generator which automatically produces the three different versions of
the website from text script files. It does things like checking for
broken links, missing files etc, generates the individual product pages,
automatically finds the latest releases for the index page etc. The site
has 900+ html files now, so manual maintenance would be a nightmare.

> Which, of course, adds nobility to your own work. ;->=

I thank you (bow).

Shall we let the others have their list back now ? ;-)

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer

Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Brigade minis (was: Victory Class) Next: RE: [OT] Re: Brigade minis (was: Victory Class)