Prev: Re: [OT] NAC peerage Next: RE: Re: Flightless, and mostly Armless

Re: [OT] NAC peerage

From: devans@u...
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:03:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] NAC peerage

My girlfriend's writing career includes here working on a 'Regency Young
Romance' *shudder*, so she's done some research on this. Even more
interesting to me was how complicated titles for women could be; some
will
remember when 'Captain Lady Megan' became 'Captain Dame Megan'.

The rules for whether it was 'Lady Argill'  or 'Lady Margaret' caused my
eyes to glaze over.

I'll give the results so far to her, as I assume some may help her, and
she
may have further areas to site.

***
Would we see the Duke of Memphis? The Earl of Niagra? The Marquess of
Brooklyn?
***

I seem to recall something of this in the original Starfire naming of
some
ships, but I don't think it was ever explained. Either that, or I'm
thinking of Vampire, the Masquerade.

The above mentioned 'bias' towards/against women would probably see SOME
change, at least. As far as govenors of colonies go, I think they tended
be held by titled men, but the posts weren't titled themselves, so that
would seem to factor in.

In the final, after you get a good hold on the status quo, you can start
thinking about where you want it to go.

The_Beast

-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon

One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad

Prev: Re: [OT] NAC peerage Next: RE: Re: Flightless, and mostly Armless