Prev: Re: FT-MT missiles Next: Re: Re :A question of etiquette and focus

[OT] NAC peerage

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:07:47 -0400
Subject: [OT] NAC peerage

I notice that England (and undoubtedly Scotland
and anyplace else that is part of the Crown's
control) has a whole passle of what I'd call
"peers" (people with noble titles).

Glancing through the list of Canadian Governor
Generals alone shows me
Viscount Monck
Lord Lisgar
Earl of Dufferin
Duke of Argyll/Marquess of Lorne
Marquess of Landsdowne
Lord Stanley
Earl of Aberdeen
Earl of Minto
Earl Grey
HRH Duke of Connaught
Duke of Devonshire
Lord Byng
Viscount Willingdon
Earl of Bessborough
Lord Tweedsmuir
Earl of Athlone
Viscount Alexander

Now, did all these people hold a hereditary
peerage? Would they all have some form or fief
associated with the peerage? Or merely a title,
sans lands? I'm asking this while I'm thinking
about the form of the NAC in 2183 and how the
House of Lords will look.

I'm fairly certain the House of Representatives
and the House of Commons can be considered
to have fallen into some sort of General
Assembly for the Confederation. But what about
the Lords? Would peerages be created on the
new worlds? Would colonies all fall under some
sort of peerage? (this would reinvigorate the
peerage and probably work well for the NAC
royals/peers and for the Romanovs) Would we
see the Duke of Memphis? The Earl of Niagra?
The Marquess of Brooklyn?

And as an aside, how many of these nobles
(enfeoffed and unenfeoffed) in England and
Scotland these days? Someone must keep a list.

Is there an online version of such a roll of peers
that lists what titles exist, which ones are
currently held, and by whom? And if so, does it
distinguish between titles with land and without? I
haven't even the vaguest idea where to begin a
search for such a thing.

And can the Crown arbitrarily create or revive
titles and grant lands and whatnot? Or has this
been severely constrained since the coming of
the constitutional part of constitutional
monarchy?

Sign me Curious-In-The-Colonies,

Prev: Re: FT-MT missiles Next: Re: Re :A question of etiquette and focus