Prev: RE: [FT] Savasku Pods Next: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

RE: Comments on Harmonization DS2/SG2 in reply to Tom

From: "Brian Bell" <bbell1@i...>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:48:45 -0400
Subject: RE: Comments on Harmonization DS2/SG2 in reply to Tom

Hi Tom,

1) I made the statement about DS2 being more deadly than SG2 mainly
from my experience. In DS2 vs vehicles, you usually get one of 3
results (Destroyed, Damaged, or Uneffected). Against Infantry, you
get one of 2 results (Dead or Under Fire). In SG2, suppression (not
killing) from range seems the rule. Then as the enemy is suppressed,
you advance units into killing range. Stargrunt is just as bloody,
but it takes longer to accomplish the killing. Thus the statement. On
the other hand, vehicles die much more quickly in SG2 than in DS2.

2) I will accept Oerjan's wisdom on this. I was trying to find the
correct niche for GMS/P. I was trying to find that center location of
justification. There needs to be reasons to:
 1 - Field a team with IVARs.
 2 - Field a team with GMS/Ps.
 3 - Field a team with a GMS/L.
In DS2 IVARs have a niche because they are uneffected by ECM/PDS.
So now it would be down to GMS/P and GMS/L. Is the range difference
sufficient to make it a toss-up in value of taking a special weapons
team of GMS/L instead of just an element with a GMS/P? This was where
I was trying to find that middle ground. In most of the suggestions
that I have seen, it is much more effecient to take a team with GMS/P
than a heavy weapons team with GMS/L. They need to be balanced.
After looking at it again, I would agree to a range of 24" and a draw
of 2 chits. But would make it use missile counters as in SG2 (cost
would be per missile counter).
A GMS/L team only has close range (close assault) weapons for
fighting infantry. A GMS/P team would have normal weapons, but
limited firing agianst vehicles. GMS/P would do the same damage as an
IVAR, have longer range, but would be subject to ECM/PDS, and have
limited shots vs vehicles.

3) I had forgotten about that use. With that effect, I would suggest
that they be somewhat expensive and/or have limited range. Remember a
SG2 board is only about 6"x10" on a DS2 table. Otherwise every unit
on your side has a limited use ECM (worth quite a lot of points).
Perhaps it should be like ADS and have a range of 12"? I would also
suggest that the EW team/vehcile would have to have LOS to both the
protected vehicle and the launching vehicle/team (otherwise there
would not be time to use the EW on the missile -- if you only see the
missle 10' from the target, it is too late to start fiddleing with
the EW equipment).

Thank you for your well reasoned response.

- ---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com
ICQ: 12848051