Prev: Re: [FT] Cheap Spaceships AND Potential Cheap Miniatures Next: RE: [FT] Savasku Pods

Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@y...>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

Jon, I don't think you realize how much this one email
is gonna make my life easier.

I have been battling Sa'Vasku customized mega-ships
for quite a while, to no avail.  I have tried every
tactic I can think of, and every tactic that everyone
here has suggested.

Heh heh heh see, if we decide to play a 2000pt battle,
my buddy will build one giant 2000pt Sa'Vasku ship.
He puts a bit of hull, a bit of armor, some
anti-fighter and anti-missle defense.....then he adds
one or two beam weapons and everything else goes into
power.....no screens, nothing.....he doesn't need
them.  He pumps up the beams with the excessive power
that he has, and procedes to blow my ships out of the
sky one by one before I can even get into range.
Usually what happens is that my ships get blow to
peices before I even get a shot.  Fighters work
better, but with a 2000pt ship.....fighter defenses
are not a high percentage cost.  Who needs screens if
I can't even get in range to hit him?? Heh heh heh I
finally just told him...no more custom Sa'Vasku (but
them I had to agree to no more custom humans)....the
Sa'Vasku designs out of the book are quite balanced,
just customizing allows abuse.

My point is, just knowing that 'The Man' thinks there
are some adjustments needed will go along way to
showing my buddy that there is a balance issue, and
hopefully convince him to accept some limits during
the ship designs.

Thanks!!!! My life is better already!!!

--- Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:
> >I started this thread because I had some bad
> >experiences with pods from custom designed ships.
> >As a player who uses custom designed (though
> >generalized) human ships, it's hard to demand of
> >the Savasku player that he not use any custom
> >designs. Therefore, I was trying to see if there
> >were any established tactics that really changed
> >the balance of power. I've just refused to play
> >Savasku recently because the customized ships with
> >their huge numbers of pod launchers, or heavy
> >long range beams, or huge numbers of non-morale
> >dependent fighters made the game not fun.
> >
> >It sounds from what I've heard that the book ships
> >aren't near as bad, though I'd still wonder if the
> >larger ones aren't a little too cheap for their
> >point value.
> >
> >Frankly, if there was an official (GZG) revised
> >point system that kept custom designs from getting
> >out of control, it would go a long way toward my
> >willingness to fight them again.
> >
> >I wish Mr. Tuffley would comment on this topic,
> >especially as to whether a revised custom design
> >point schedule is likely to be forthcoming in
> >future products.
>
> I try to avoid "official" pronouncements on this
> sort of thing until
> they've worked themselves out for a while....a
> knee-jerk reaction to "quick
> fix" an apparent problem can often cause more
> problems in its turn, and as
> Kevin commented about the SMs it sometimes turns out
> that once everyone
> gets used to them then a lot of the perceived
> problems go away anyhow....
> On the S'V there IS attention needed to this
> particular aspect, that of
> overpowered custom designs, and we'll address that
> "officially" when we do
> FB3 (yes, it will be coming, just DON'T ask when....
> <grin>); in the
> meantime, keep trying out the suggestions that have
> been made already
> (stinger range reduction and moving some systems to
> different energy
> pools); when and if everyone agrees that they do the
> trick, we may make
> them "official" (hey, there's that word again...).
> You mention that you use custom human designs that
> are "generalised", and
> presumably in the spirit of the FB1 designs - in
> that case I don't see
> you'd be unreasonable in asking your S'V player to
> keep his custom designs
> "generalised" too, and in the spirit of the FB2
> designs, rather than using
> munchkinised ones.
>
> Jon (GZG)

> >Yahoo! Auctions - buy the things you want at great
> prices
> >http://auctions.yahoo.com/

=====
Thank You,

Shawn M Mininger

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Prev: Re: [FT] Cheap Spaceships AND Potential Cheap Miniatures Next: RE: [FT] Savasku Pods