Prev: Re: Interesting Next: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

From: Kevin Walker <sage@c...>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:00:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods

on 5/5/01 4:25, Bif Smith at bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk wrote:

> Of course, there is also the point of playing equal points fleet, not
equal
> mass. To make it more ballanced (and if your opponent insists on using
> custom designs), my suggestion is to use a increase of the cost of the
power
> generators (x4 mass instead of x2?). This is because the custom
designs are
> so overpowered due to the excessive number of power generators that
people
> fit to the custom designs. Any body with more experiance of playing SV
care
> to comment if this is a more balancing idea?

One problem with balancing SV ships is toning done some of the items
that
can be unbalanced with self designed ships but at the same time not
dramatically increasing the brittle nature that I've found SV ships to
have
when taking damage.  The toning down of the stinger range bands to 9mu
goes
a good distance to helping this.  As does the other suggestions of
having
spicules energy come from the D pool and pod energy coming from the R
pool
for the reasons mentioned I believe in an earlier email.

One of the problems with balancing new systems is that new systems and
styles of ships often require different tactics, usually vastly
different
ones as is the case with SV ships.  That's not to say that tactics can
overcome some of the min-max designs we've recently heard of or the ones
I've played with and against for testing and tryout.  Some different,
but
potentially unbalancing factors were talked about when SMs were
introduced
with SB1, however as people had a chance to play more with them and
develop
new tactics it was found that they weren't as devastating as was first
thought.

One key element I've found is SV ships tend to be the master of anyone
(or
possibly two) elements of the battlefield during anyone turn and they
can
change which item they excel at from turn to turn.  An example is many
of
their ships can maneuver and/or change speed greater than any other ship
in
the game without have to be specially designed to do so if they're
willing
to put a majority of their energy into movement.  The same goes for beam
weapons in that they can out range anyone (with medium to large ships)
if
they're willing to commit a lot of energy to it.  To this end it's
important
to not allow the SV ships the ability to be this specialized every turn.

To this end it's usually difficult for SV ships to have ALL the same
capacities that other ships enjoy every turn.  For instance, raising
level
two shields, having an equal factor of beams ready, having all the
torp/heavy weapons available, and being able to maneuver.

I'm not saying that tactics can balance out all the issues people
(including
myself) are finding dealing with SV ships (especially custom designs).
However, new tactics have to be investigated before too many changes are
implemented lest the new systems/race be crippled accidentally by not
knowing that there are effective counter measures.

With that said I've found that the biggest head-ache is that SV beams
can
out distance opposing weaponry fairly easily.  Add to this that it's
possible to out range many opponents and still keep the edge on speed
and
maneuvering and there's a potential game killer (as well as long and
boring
tactic that can make the game less than enjoyable for at least one of
the
players).

Okay, I've been too long winded obviously.  <BG>  I'm preparing to
receive
incoming...

Kevin Walker
sage@chartermi.net

Prev: Re: Interesting Next: Re: [FT] Savasku Pods