Prev: Re: [FullThrust] Stratfor predicts FSE/NSL split? <grin> Next: FW: SJM update

Re: Re: ADFC clarification

From: ateske@h...
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 17:43 +0100
Subject: Re: Re: ADFC clarification

Glenn wrote:
>On Sat, 5 May 2001 12:44 +0100 ateske@hicom.net writes:
>>I've been having fun with trying to get a new ISP working,
>>so I missed what you're replying to, but your statement
>>above is how I've seen ADFC working the whole time.  Just
>>like a regular firecon, each ADFC can target only one ship
>>a turn, it's just that this is for defensive firing instead
>>of offensive.
>
>And I assume that applies one fighter group or one Sm group too?

Oh, nononono.  Each PDS/C-batt can target one group.  But each ADFC
allows you to treat one *other* ship within 6" (or whatever) as though
the ship with the ADFC were being targetted, so it can fire on any of
the fighter groups/missiles/whatever attacking the ship it's defending.

Hmm.

Let's try this.  Assume there are three ships in a close formation
(within ADFC range).  One ship has a single ADFC and 6 PDS; the other
ships have 2 PDS each.	The two ships *without* the ADFC are attacked by
four fighter groups each; the ship with the ADFC is left alone.

Now, the two ships without ADFC can only target the groups attacking
them -- not a problem, as they only have 2 PDS to spread anyway.  The
ship with the ADFC can defend *one* of the two ships being attacked, and
spread it's six PDS around the four groups -- the overall effect is that
the ship being attacked has 8 PDS, the ones on the ship plus the ones
from the ADFC-equipped ship.

If the ship with the ADFC had two instead of just the one, it could have
spread it's PDS to cover both of the other ships in the formation.

So, in short, one ADFC allows you to defend one other ship from any
fighters, missiles, etc. attacking it.	Basically, anything the ship
being defended could shoot it's PDS at, the ADFC-equipped ship could
also fire at, though I'm not sure how that applies to (say) Sa'vasku
pods that don't target specific ships -- i.e., could an ADFC-equipped
ship 9" away from a pod target it by using the ADFC to "defend" a ship
midway between it and the pod?	(My apologies if that's answered in the
rules; I don't know which box the rules are in at the moment....)

Hope this helped!
				 Aaron
Email sent using AnyEmail from http://www.hicom.net

Prev: Re: [FullThrust] Stratfor predicts FSE/NSL split? <grin> Next: FW: SJM update