Prev: A question of ettiquete and focus Next: Re: [OT] Force sizes - interesting article

Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 20:38:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

In message
<6B3C0EEAB4FED3119F5F009027DC5E9E01D73071@spacemsg3.jhuapl.edu>
	  "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> > Gatling Batteries [Paul Wellman] (Sam Penn's Website)
>
> I agree that the Pulser-C is the more balanced and better costed
alternative
> to this. I'd rather not tweak the design to conform to the original
text.
> I'd take a Pulser-C and re-label it.

Agree

> >Gatling Phaser [Star Fleet Battles Conversions by Alan Brain]
>
> >Treat as Re-useable submunitions which do not ignore shields (i.e. a
> >half range class 3 beam) but can be fired at incoming Fighters,
Missiles
> >and Plasma Torpedos as a single PDS. Still requires Firecon in PDS
mode.
> >Same cost and arcs as a Class 2 Beam.
>
> I prefer the single PDS die in PDS mode. This makes it look alot like
> slightly modified Pulser, so flavor might be more distinct as 2
> Class-1-as-PDS dice.
>
> >Despite there obvious differences, the concept behind these weapons
is
> >similar - a short-range, rapid fire beam with reasonably good
> >capabilities as both an anti-ship and a point defence weapon.
>
> I would point out that the "rapid-fire" bit is purely PSB and not
mechanics
> driven. Any FB-standard beam weapon could be redefined as, for
example, "a
> series of rapid-fire beam pulses".

Good point :-)

> I'd drop Paul's weapon in favor of the Pulser. You could do the same
with
> Alan's, or keep it as a slight twist on the standard Pulser
>
> Noam

ATM I'd say give the 'Gatling Battery' the same stats as a Pulsar-C
(available in 1, 3, and 6 arc versions), while leaving the Gatling
Phaser as written - and it rolls 1 dice as a PDS in PDS mode (for
simplicity).

A couple more weapons that I think I should have included (maybe) in
this one (similar theme - at least in the latter - its another Pulsar
variant):

Meson Flechette [Noam Izenberg] (NIFT-Midbar Skunkworks)

Mass 4+1/arc, Cost 3xMass. Maximum 3 arcs.
Short range beam-like heavy weapon,  Damage 0-12 mu = 6 beam dice,
12-24 mu = 3 beam dice. Cost of  Flechette +2 arcs is the same as for 3
class 2 beams, and has exactly the same power.

I assume that screens & shrouds protect normally.
Costs look ok for 3 arcs (assuming the limitation that it can only
target one target and can be completely lost to 1 failed threshold or
needle beam strike is offet by the advantage that is is less likely to
loose _some_ firepower to thresholds and is easier to repair once
damaged), not sure about 1 & 2 arcs - may be underpriced at 1 arc - but
probably only by about half a MASS :-)

Twin Particle Array [B5Wars conversion by Clint Kozell/Corye Seale]

As Pulser-M
May fire as normal or as 2xPDS
Mass = 1 per arc
Points = 4 x mass

Comments:
(Oerjan)  If it works as a Pulser-M but fires 2 PDS dice in PD mode, it
should have the same Mass as a Pulser and cost 6xMass. The above weapon
is *WAY* overpowered/underpriced for 1, 2 and 3 arcs, merely overpowered
for 4 arcs, OK for 5 arcs and somewhat *under*powered for 6 arcs.]

Question: if used in PDS mode, do both PDS dice have to be used on the
same threat (fighter group, missile salvo, plasma bolt)? I'd say yes.

On cost, I agree with Oerjan - MASS should be as Pulsar, COST is 6x
MASS.

I'd be tempted to cut the PDS down to 1 dice - then it just becomes a
Pulsar-M (but I guess that loses the 'twin effect' - so the PDS mode
could become '2 class-1's as PDS' - roughly the same as 1 PDS system).

Charles

Prev: A question of ettiquete and focus Next: Re: [OT] Force sizes - interesting article