Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #476 Next: RE: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs

Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 12:27:21 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

> Gatling Batteries [Paul Wellman] (Sam Penn's Website)

I agree that the Pulser-C is the more balanced and better costed
alternative
to this. I'd rather not tweak the design to conform to the original
text.
I'd take a Pulser-C and re-label it.

>Gatling Phaser [Star Fleet Battles Conversions by Alan Brain]

>Treat as Re-useable submunitions which do not ignore shields (i.e. a
>half range class 3 beam) but can be fired at incoming Fighters,
Missiles
>and Plasma Torpedos as a single PDS. Still requires Firecon in PDS
mode.
>Same cost and arcs as a Class 2 Beam.

I prefer the single PDS die in PDS mode. This makes it look alot like a
slightly modified Pulser, so flavor might be more distinct as 2
Class-1-as-PDS dice.

>Despite there obvious differences, the concept behind these weapons is
>similar - a short-range, rapid fire beam with reasonably good
>capabilities as both an anti-ship and a point defence weapon.

I would point out that the "rapid-fire" bit is purely PSB and not
mechanics
driven. Any FB-standard beam weapon could be redefined as, for example,
"a
series of rapid-fire beam pulses".

I'd drop Paul's weapon in favor of the Pulser. You could do the same
with
Alan's, or keep it as a slight twist on the standard Pulser

Noam

Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #476 Next: RE: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs