Prev: [OT] Force sizes - interesting article Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #476

DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 08:51:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs

I'm still reading the rules for Dirtside, and since
I like design systems, I'm trying to see how you'd
design stats for miniatures I have from other game
systems.

I've asked questions about the combat walkers, which
are like Battletech Mechs (sort of). The prevailing
opinion is that they are either easily hit units for
their cost, or expensive units for their combat power
(depending on how much stealth you take).

Additionally, it seems that certain systems are
missing that a real mech would certainly want such
as jump jets, huge melee weapons for dealing
physical damage to tanks (Giant axes and the like),
death from above attacks (stepping or landing on
tanks), and armor which must be tougher than we
see in Dirtside.

Renegade Legion grav tanks look like they can be
designed, but they seem to have restricted flight
modes. Real grav tanks can fly (though it makes
them vulnerable to bottom hits). It doesn't look
like a grav tank could do this in Dirtside. If you
design them as an aircraft, the weapon load seems
to be quite restrictive. Of course flicker shields
are NOT represented (at least I haven't seen them).

Ogres could be designed as these multi section
vehicles. I don't think the armor can be made
tough enough to replicate the feel of Ogre, and
they look like they can be immobilized too easily
(just 2 tread vehicle units immobilized). My
suspicion is they'd look neat rumbling across the
playing field but would be disabled without TOO
much effort.

Ok, am I right, or do I have it wrong?

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Prev: [OT] Force sizes - interesting article Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #476