Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust

[FH] LLAR was Re: The United States in Full Thrust

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:47:16 -0400
Subject: [FH] LLAR was Re: The United States in Full Thrust

Note the changed subject heading.

> Jon, it's your timeline **but** where did the masses of the LLAR
merc's
> come from?  Unless this was a very elite group led by the child of
> Falkenberg's son and Hammer's daughter there are a big bunch of
'mothers
> of warriors' (to use a Cherokee term) out on the colonies breeding
these
> soldiers.  What did the LLAR do?  practice polygamy?

good question, that.  My first take would be that the conquering NAC
oppressors would probably let anyone go emigrate who wanted to, as
long as they paid (or evaded) a punitive emigration tax--it's cheaper
to ship them out than to hunt down guerillas.
   And LLAR colonies would probably have very open immigration
policies, at least for a while.   Some of the worlds may have a Latino
ruling class with the lower and middle classes all being Sinhalese,
Angolan, Laotian etc.
  And who knows, maybe polygamy is legal in LLAR space.  If the
soldiers are all male (which I can see, from what I know of Latino
culture), and you have to serve a term before you marry, then there
will be somewhat fewer available males than females.  Women stay and
run the businesses and the banks, men go offplanet and serve the army.
Men would want more wives because there's more wealth; women would
want the prestige and political openings available to a successful
commander.
   By the way, I'm not making this up--this is the way things worked
in Europe for a while, a few hundred years ago.

Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust