Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust

Re: The United States in Full Thrust

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:44:07 -0400
Subject: Re: The United States in Full Thrust

David Griffin wrote:

> I don't buy the US collapse history and would
> like to revise it. I'd like to get some guidance
> from the rest of you to determine what consequences
> it would have and how best to do it. Thanks.

I do not have the history handy, but I suspect that the collapse of the
US was precipitated by the sudden lack of oil.	While all economies
would suffer from oil's departure, Canada and the US would suffer
significantly more than the other industrialised nations from the simple
lack of a trans-national electrified railway.  Russia, Europe, and Japan
can all move goods with their central powerplants, and China still uses
coal fired steam engines.  The current power of the USA is predicated on
free access to ample reserves of oil.  Take that away and the USA
becomes a third world country with a developed system of government and
justice, but saddled with an inability to keep everyone fed, due to the
problem of the food being too distant from the cities.

Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust