Prev: Re: FT-Battleships Next: Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help!

Re: FT-Battleships

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:47:39 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Battleships

In message <Pine.SOL.4.05.10104241412500.23048-100000@babu.pcisys.net>
	  Mike Stanczyk <stanczyk@pcisys.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

[snip]

> > Wouldn't a needle beam have the same effect on a turret of jamming
it?
> > Isn't the only question as to whether THAT'S fixable?
> >
> Yes, I would say that a needle beam jams the turret.	But is that all
it does?
> If you have lots of weapons in the turret should you get a threashold
check
> on the contents too?

I don't think so [IMHO]

> > ***
> > The only contraint on the MASS/COST I can think of is this: A Turret
with a
> > specific one arc weapon should cost more than the weapon expanded to
> > include
> > those arcs if possible.
> >
> > I.E. a single turreted class 3 beam should cost more than a 3 arc
class 3
> > beam.
> > ***
> >
> > Feel free to flame away if I'm mis-interpreting your contention,
but...

> > Any particular reason? The non-turreted beam isn't saddled with
written
> > orders on bearing.
> >
> > PSB: A turret is cheaper than building the number of emitters
necessary to
> > cover all arcs of fire.
> >
> > The_Beast
>
> That could be true.  It depends on how complicated the equipment is to
turn
> the turret and how fast the turret can turn.
>
> We may also want to have a little discouragement cost on turrets so
that
> simpler record keeping is encouraged.
>
> Ok, here's a new twist:  Can you fire different weapons in the same
turret
> at different targets in the same arc?
>
> I say yes but it requires extra firecons. (one per target; standard
firecon
> rules)  But in say the Babylon 5 universe, I don't think you can.  It
comes
> down to where you put the accurate aiming system.  If it's on turret
only
> no multiple targets.
>
> Mike

Well, as I originally wrote it, yes (1 target per firecon) - but I think
I'd restrict it to only 1 firecon can be assigned per turret (in other
words - turret can only fire at 1 target).
If the firecon is on the turret - the cost goes up as you have to make
the turret bigger - OTOH - it could be ruled that each turret _must_
have its own firecon - especially in Bif's version (where each turret is
treated almost as a separate ship).

Prev: Re: FT-Battleships Next: Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help!