Prev: Re: Origins Game Con Next: RE: DS II: Combat Walkers

Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:08:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields

At 07:05 PM 4/24/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Well, there doesn't seem to have been any activity on this one recently
>- are we all in agreement then?

I *knew* there was something I was forgetting up there, off the top of
the
screen... I was away from e-mail while the discussion was going on about
this, the first time.

For the record, Holofields are the Eldar "shield" from GW's Space Fleet
and
Battlefleet Gothic; my varient is based off Space Fleet and, actually,
FT2.0, so the 7% MASS was really only countering pulse torps and
submunitions.  I'd kinda been keeping in "genre-specific" so I hadn't
considered K-guns, even in the More Thrust version, which is why it was
only 7%.

>IIRC it was:
>
>Effect as screen-1 vs. all beam weapons (including stingers and
pulsars)
>-1 to hit (ie. treat target as 6 mu further away) vs. K-guns, pulse
>torpedoes, and pod launchers
>-1 to number of missiles on target for smls
>no effect on plasma bolts and other area effect weapons.
>KV fighters do no damage on rolls of 4.

Wouldn't that fall under "effect as screen-1"?	Or do you just want to
state specifics?  (In which case, should you call out the effect on
Hu'man
fighters as well?)  (And if I'm misremembering the KV fighter rules, my
apologies -- the rules are around somewhere, but there's a couple dozen
boxes yet to unpack after the move....)

>This leaves a few unresolved questions:
>What is the effect vs. Submunitions Packs, Multiple Kinetic Projectile
>packs, and scatterguns?
>Could be either 'negate rolls of 4 for SMPs, MKPs, and scatterguns vs.
>ships' or 'no effect' (in the latter case the PSB is the attacks spread
>to much for the holofield to have an effect).

I'd vote against "no effect"; if the attacks spread that much, they
should
be a lot more effective against missiles.  (MKP packs?	Um.... ^_^;; )
Basically, though, if you pull my original statement about how they work
--
they subtract 1 from the roll to hit, but do not affect damage -- and
apply

>What is the effect vs. MT missiles (I'm sure someone posted this - but
>I cannot remember what - reduced 'lock on' range maybe?).

That's probably easiest, since I don't think there's a "to hit" roll for
those missiles.  We might as well set the precedent now, since it'll
probably also apply to one of the "hush-hush" UN weapons I used (to
great
effect, than kew! <grin>) at GZG ECC IV.

Come to that, I suppose the field could have that effect against
SMLs/SMRs
as well, instead of (or in addition to? ^_- nah...) removing one
missile.
So maybe against anything with a "lock-on" movement, it reduces the
range
of that, while if a weapon is direct-fire it's -1 to hit but no effect
on
damage.  (Or level 1 screens.  Whatever, close enough/same effect....
<grin>)

>MASS is 10% of the Hull MASS of the ship.
>COST is 3x the MASS?
>
>(Could use MASS is 5% of Hull MASS, Cost is MASS x7 or even x8 - as an
>alternative).

I think Oerjan's the one most qualified to make numbers calls like that.
<grin>	I am kind of inclined to keep the MASS around that of a level-1
screen, though, since holofields *are* supposed to be a high-tech item.
(Pay more for "miniaturization" or something...?)  But either way would
work.

					Aaron Teske

Prev: Re: Origins Game Con Next: RE: DS II: Combat Walkers