Prev: Re: FT-Battleships Next: Re: More "Stick Fight"

Re: No idea what I am doing. Help!

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 24 Apr 2001 14:10:20 -0700
Subject: Re: No idea what I am doing. Help!

On Mon, 23 April 2001, thwaak wrote:

> 1)	Can you make support weapon teams, with two or more support
> weapons?

Yes. You can put two or more support weapons in a squad, or you can put
them in squads by themselves.

> 2)	Do they all fire under one action?

One action is used to fire any number of figures in a squad. One figure
may fire once per activation. So, you can use one action to fire some or
all of the figures in the squad at one target; you can use one action to
fire some figures at one target, and the second action to fire the rest
at the same target; you can use one action to fire some figures at one
target, and the second action to fire some figures at another target.

> Reason I ask: A player made a detached element of his SAW and AGL
> troopers. When  he transferred actions, do they fire in unison? Or one
> action per weapon?  If they fire in unison, whose FP do you use?

I'm going to assume your player has a squad with a squad leader, some
troopers, an AGL, and a SAW. He detaches the SAW and the AGL. He
activates the squad, and does a transfer action to the detachment. The
SAW and the AGL now have two actions.

He can fire them in unison. That gives them a Quality Die, the Firepower
die of the SAW and the FP die of the AGL. This uses up one action. They
have one more action, but can not fire for the rest of this activation.

Or, he can use one action to fire the SAW (using Quality Die and SAW FP
Die) and use the other action to fire the AGL (using the Quality Die and
the AGL FP die). This can be at the same or different targets.

> 3)	If a squad fires it's weapons, but only the two support weapons
> are in range, whose FP do you use?

Only the FP of the support weapons are used, along with the Quality Die.
Since the guys with the shotguns haven't fired, they could fire at
another target within close range.

> 4)	As it is apparent on the model, most OUDF troops come with a
> one-shot IAVR.  Can more than one OUDF trooper fire his IAVR in
support?
> If an entire squad is equipped with IAVR's, can the whole squad fire
> them all at once?

That's a very good question. I would have to say that, yes, they could
all fire at once and get the FP die for the IAVR. Every trooper firing
the IAVR would not be able to use their normal weapon, though.

This is something you have to concern yourself in SG2 games. It's easy
to get "munchkin-y" with things like this. In reality, no squad would
fire all their IAVRs at one enemy squad. They wouldn't waste them when
there was a possibility of vehicles coming upon them later that day. You
may want to make a scenario specific rule indicating controlling this.

> 5)	 The rules seem to imply that when a squad leader is KIA, that
the
> squad takes an additional supression counter, on top of one for being
> hit in the first place. Is this true?

Yes!!! I discovered this while building the Stargrunt II Index. The
squad takes a suppression counter when it is hit sufficiently to take
casualties. If the squad leader is a casualty, the squad takes a second
suppression counter (this is on page... checks index... page 10). Note,
the leader doesn't have to be dead. He just has to be a "casualty".

> 6)	 For confidence tests...the TL's marked with a '+' seem unlikely
> (except for Artillery/Aerospace attack) to occur with any other event.
> eg; 'Unit is force to ABANDON WOUNDED'.   I can't imagine a situation
> where this would apply as a cumulative. It makes more sense if it was
> it's own event that causes the test.

No, it's cumulative to every other Confidence Test. If the squad has to
make a Confidence Test due to taking fire, and they abandoned wounded
soldiers earlier in the scenario, they take that modifier to the TL.
Abandoning soldiers doesn't cause a test. But, taking fire and realizing
that if they are wounded THEY may be left behind has a sort of "adverse"
effect on them. *S*

It is a modifier, not a test in its own right.

> 7)	Since the rules say "taken as soon as required", and "For each
> currently UNTREATED CASUALTY in unit"...when exactly do you add the
> cumulative? eg: A low mission motivation squad of 6 men looses their
> leader to gunfire.  So far...you have a TL of 3 to test
against.....but
> now as a cumulative you have the untreated casualty of the leader, +1
> TL? This doesn't make sense?

Ah, this is unclear (and it should be in the FAQ, Andy!). It was
mentioned on the list ages ago.

The way everyone interprets this is that the TL for untreated casualties
does not apply to figures that just BECAME casualties. You apply it for
figures that were casualties from previous fire, not the current fire.
The figures that just became casualties aren't "untreated", they are
"newly wounded".

The rules are unclear on this, but the consensus is that you only apply
the "untreated" modifier for figures wounded from previous fire.

> Hell....am I making any sense?

Plenty!

> Thanks for your help. I'm sure more questions will come along soon.

We'll all be here...

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com

Prev: Re: FT-Battleships Next: Re: More "Stick Fight"