Prev: Re: SG 15mm minis- Painting Next: Origins Game Con

Re: SG 15mm minis- Painting

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:23:13 -0500
Subject: Re: SG 15mm minis- Painting

In message <5.0.0.25.0.20010423130810.01b9acd0@naxera.com>, Ted
Arlauskas write
s:
> Andy - Great pics, but they don't match the text ...

Hmm?  I don't understand-- what text?  Where's the problem?

> Okay - how do you do the bases?

In each case, the mini is glued to a 1/2" metal washer with 5 min
epoxy.	The washer allow me to store on magnets or to use magnetic
movement trays.  On non-GZG figures, a second pass of epoxy is used to
give the entire base a smooth contour around the minis molded base.
The GZG figs have a base almost the exact same size as the washer, so
you can't really do that.  I didn't feel like trimming their bases so
I could, so I left them alone.	In the future, I may try something to
fill in the gap between the integral base and the washer.

I mixed white glue with water and a touch of dishwashing soap (Dawn),
covered the top of the base with that, and stuck into Woodlands
Scenics RR ballast and let dry (typically a long period, like
overnight.)  Once dry, I pulled it out and removed stray pieces of
ballast.  I mixed 1:1 palomino yellow (yellowish tan) paint with
water, and coated the entire base and let dry.	I washed it with 1:4
raw sienna/water (I don't usually wash, but I was trying for a
specific hue that I had no paint to match).  Once *that* dried, I
drybrushed a lighter tan, then highlighted with a whitish-tan.

For the grass, I used the same 1:1:.01 glue/water/Dawn solution and
covered portions of the base I wanted covered with grass.  I then
dipped the base into Woodlands Scenics static grass.  Pulling it out,
I blew across the base from every direction to make the grass stand up
better, and then let it dry.  I've found the thinner the glue on the
base, the better this process works.

When everything was dried, I sprayed with a Gloss lacquer, and later

Prev: Re: SG 15mm minis- Painting Next: Origins Game Con