Prev: Re: FT-Tugs and swarm tactics Next: Re: FT-Tugs and swarm tactics

Re: FT-Tugs and swarm tactics

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:26:29 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Tugs and swarm tactics

----- Original Message -----
From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@yahoo.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 7:02 PM

> The only issue I can see with the swarm tactic is how
> you set initiative.
>
> In the book version of initiative, both sides roll,
> the winner goes first using one of his ships.  Then
> the other player goes using one of his ships, and back
> and forth.
>
> Small ships vs. one giant ship effectively dicounts
> initiative.  You may win initiative, but you only fire
> with a small ship, maybe 10% of your firepower, while
> your opponent (with one giant ship) goes next and can
> use 100% of his firepower.
>
> If your opponent is smart, he will target ships that
> haven't fired yet.
>
> So, say you fire with your first small ship (using 10%
> of your total fleet's firepower) your opponent fires
> with his big ship (using 100% of his fleets firepower)
> and effectively starts whittling down your combat
> power before your other ships get a chance to be
> useful.
>
> One way to make sure this doesn't happen is to base
> initiative on thrust.  I like this idea the best as
> usually the smaller ships have more thrust, meaning
> that the smaller, more manueverable ships get a
> chance.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Shawn M Mininger

> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Correct, but missile fire/sml marker placement occurs before enegry
weapon
fire, and it doesn`t matter if you or your opponent has initative. Also,
the
limit would be the targets firecons, not the initiative anyway (a CH
usually
has 2 f.cons, Vs a swarm of 4 LACs for the same mass/cost).

BIF
 "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
 strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: Re: FT-Tugs and swarm tactics Next: Re: FT-Tugs and swarm tactics