Prev: FAO Karl Rushing Next: Re: Terrain

DIY cutting Re: Terrain

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:08:31 -0500
Subject: DIY cutting Re: Terrain

***
I've ordered a couple sets of GHQ stuff to check it out (flat and
low hills).  I've also seen using the EPS stuff from Lowes.
Anyone know if that stuff cuts with a hot wire cutter?	I like
the way the wonder-cutter zips through styrofoam.
***

Roger, it can be done, but VERY slow going, and it's darn easy to break
the
wire. A sawing motion is even more important than with bead foam, and
the
motion can lead you to putting too much pressure on the cutter. Best to
keep to small cuts if you can.

I have a cutter with a thicker wire, at 4-5 times the cost of
wonder-cutter, but I can't find a name other than Avalon Products on it.
think it was something like Copie. Alas, I heard the company went out of
production on it.

There are plenty of designs on the web for DIY building of your own
large
cutter, using model train transformers, nichrome(sp?) wire, and the
like. I
grok not the construction of electrical items, though.

Good Luck!

Prev: FAO Karl Rushing Next: Re: Terrain