Prev: Re: Cross cultural war games Was: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense Next: Re: Cross cultural war games Was: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Re: Cross cultural war games Was: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 19:57:22 +0200
Subject: Re: Cross cultural war games Was: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

> Part of this 'centric' war gamer aspect is that (Using myself as an
> example) that we tend to game in one language.  (With me it's Englsih
> although if I removed the 'rust' on my tounge and practiced real hard
> could get my Spanish back up to passable - my Aunt (Mexican national
> until last year) always said that I could learn to speak it if I
worked
> at it but I would have to work *very hard* to not sound like a
> Norteamericano.  There is no way I would want to even consider war
gaming
> in Cherokee! <grin>)	Even most Europeans probably war game in one
> language.

Most of the Europeans I know tend to game in their own language, but use
English gaming materials. That is, discussions, explanations and gaming
banter are in their native language, but the rules are imported from
England/America. Also true for board wargames. Makes for some funny
language
when people start mixing vocabularies.

Greetings