Prev: Re: [OT] Maps Next: Re: [DS2] Technoid Walkers

Cross cultural war games Was: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 09:35:14 EDT
Subject: Cross cultural war games Was: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 21:48:33 -0700 Jaime Tiampo
<fugu@spikyfishthing.com>
writes:
snip>

>I think you take this wrong. I was just trying to bring up that quite
>few of the things put down around that say "something or other didn't
>happen during this or so time or was never common.. yadda yadda
>yadda.."
>aren't quite true if you take a global view on it. :) I just brought
>up
>the chinese take on these weapons of this time because the time and
>place is a current study of mine, although I haven't hit the deep
>weapons research. I'd say the same contrary things for people who
>bring
>up pure "whatever"centric view. Mostly I see a eurocentric view on
>things since it's most of what we learn about and what most people are
>interested in.

That's why I asked.

Most war gamers in the hobby seem to be (not necessarily in this order
of
magnitude): UK, USA, AUS, NZ, Europe with representatives on various
lists from Singapore and Japan, Africa, the rest of Asia, Latin America.

Obviously most of the in person war gamers will be of the those nations
listed above, as far as I can tell.

Part of this is the history ('as I know it' warning) of post H. G. Wells
organized (?!) war games was originally UK (read English based) despite
the presence (usually unknown) early on other countries in writing
rules,
casting miniatures specifiaclly for war game hobbyists, and playing the
games.	The collecting of miniatures (as opposed to war games per se)
was
more diffuse but also usually small and insular because it was 'always'
'bit odd' to most cultures' mainstream.

Part of this 'centric' war gamer aspect is that (Using myself as an
example) that we tend to game in one language.	(With me it's Englsih
although if I removed the 'rust' on my tounge and practiced real hard I
could get my Spanish back up to passable - my Aunt (Mexican national
until last year) always said that I could learn to speak it if I worked
at it but I would have to work *very hard* to not sound like a
Norteamericano.  There is no way I would want to even consider war
gaming
in Cherokee! <grin>)  Even most Europeans probably war game in one
language.

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French  - or  even human -  to be a 'frog'!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
aka - Warbeads@juno.com (historical miniatures) and
aka - Dwarf_warrior@juno.com (Fantasy and 6mm/10mm figures.)

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [OT] Maps Next: Re: [DS2] Technoid Walkers