Prev: Re: What happens if... Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Firewalls and going places was Re: [DS2] Technoid Walkers

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 00:30:03 EDT
Subject: Firewalls and going places was Re: [DS2] Technoid Walkers

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:51:44 -0700  "Casquilho, Daniel"
<Daniel.Casquilho@disney.com> writes:

>	Yes, I do have many filters and firewalls between me and the
>"world". That could be why I couldn't get to the site.
>
>		Daniel

Our firewall at NIMA (National Imagery and Mapping - aka Not Interested
in Mapping Anymore) has the kind of firewall you only see in your dream
-
your nightmares.  It's stopped some really innocuous e-mails because it
had this list of "dirty words" (think 'sensitive' that can also be used
in everyday communication also) and all the expected American Government
filters to prevent 'waste, fraud and abuse' of government systems.  They
definitely work...

And when someone is trying to 'mess' with the computer systems between
us, the rest of the Intel community or a Military site and the 'good
guys' put up an increased degrees of "Infocon" (degrees of active
defenses against 'bad guy' attacks on systems) it can really be touchy!

But then there was this military officer with hundreds of porn sites
bookmarked on several machines.. or should I say EX-military...  One
thing the federal government does well is catch the real flagrant
abusers
and hammer them.  There was this contractor employee who broadcast to
all
of NIMA the hoax of Famous-Barr cookie recipe charge of $250.  She was
'off the system' that day.  We had just had a message to all (including
contractors) about inappropriate use and severity of punishment less
then
72 hours earlier.  Maybe she was a 'delete before reading' type person.

All in all a necessary hinderance to even legitimate 'primary research'
on the web.  It would be funny if it didn't always seem to occur when
you
most need 'speedy' response times...

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel) You don't have to be
French
to be
a 'frog', or even human! Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard,
Dirtside 2,  Ratner's Space Marines and Full Thrust/FB1.  Resistance is
everything!
aka - Warbeads@juno.com (historicals) and Dwarf_warrior@juno.com
(Fantasy
and
6mm/10mm figures.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: What happens if... Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense