Prev: Re: Ship Stats Question Next: Re: prototype 6mm hammer slammer combat car photo

RE: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams

From: "Chris Downes-Ward" <cdownes-ward@9...>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:09:39 +0100
Subject: RE: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams

> [Bri] You are designating them an Anti-Armor Team as listed on p. 13,
yes?
Yes
> Here are my rules of Infantry Heavy Weapons Teams (IHWT): This is an
> extention of the Anti-Armor Team listed on p.13 of DS2. They
> conform to this
> listing in all ways, but vary may carry any Class-1 weapon. These are
> crew-served weapons. These teams carry only small arms for self
defense in
> addition to the heavy weapon. To support these weapons,  the
> entire squad (2
> or more teams) is considered to be carring high efficency powercells
and
> ammo.
>  - Uses Basic FCS for HEL, RFAC, MDC and DFFG GSMs purchase
>      the appropriate Guidance System.
>  - Use normal Class-1 weapon ranges.	GMS/L uses normal /L range.
>  - Does NOT use expendable ammo counters (may fire each round).
>  - Treated as Anti-Armor Team as listed on p. 13 of DS2
>  - Cost is for Infantry Rifle Team (or Power Armor Team) PLUS the cost
>      of a fixed mounted Class-1 weapon.
> Valid heavy weapons for IHWTs are:
> HEL/1, RFAC/1, MDC/1, DFFG/1, and GSM/L
I had excluded HEL and MDC because the vehicle design rules implied that
these were power hungry systems and I could not see an infantry team
carrying
around the equivalent of a Fusion plant.

> > Is light artillery the way to model a mortar team? How many
> > markers should they carry?
> >
> [Bri] This is more tricky than it would first appear. The artillery
itslef
> takes 6 capacity points, more than the men do (but this includes 1
counter
> of ammo). Also, 1 round of artillery fire takes 4 capacity
> points, the same
> amount as an infantry team itself! So if you take the 4 cp for
> ammo from the
> 6cp for the mortar, you get the mortar itself at 2 cp. Each team
> can carry a
> maximum of 2 cp (GMS/L is 2 cp and is the biggest thing infantry can
carry
> under standard rules). So... 1 Team to carry the Mortar (no shells)
and 2
> Teams per Mortar Ammo Counter. The unit must have an unused ammo
> counter to
> perform Harrashment fire. Both the Mortar and Mortar Ammo Teams are
under
> the restrictions of Anti-Armor Teams on p.13 (i.e. can only carry
> close-defense weapons in addition to the mortar or ammo).
Sounds about right to me. So to recap a minimal mortar team would
consist of
3 IHWT
teams one manning the mortar and another 2 lugging an ammo marker, they
could
then fire for effect once or fire harassing indefinitely.
In one of the battles covered in "AAR (or what I did in my Holidays)"
which
posted on 2nd March 2001 we modeled a mortar section as a size 3 truck
(15 capacity) carrying the mortar team and 3 ammo counters.

Prev: Re: Ship Stats Question Next: Re: prototype 6mm hammer slammer combat car photo