Prev: Re: [OT] Lens and Filter Considerations (was RE: [OT] Digital Cameras) Next: Re: Grendels was: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens

Re: [OT] Lens and Filter Considerations (was RE: [OT] Digital Cameras)

From: agoodall@c...
Date: 5 Apr 2001 14:39:02 -0700
Subject: Re: [OT] Lens and Filter Considerations (was RE: [OT] Digital Cameras)

On Thu, 05 April 2001, Roger Books wrote:

> I thought a normal lens for most of the digitals was around 35mm,
> is this incorrect?

That seems to be about right. It's pretty standard now, too, for SLRs.
It's slightly wider angle than the human eye. Or, rather, it's like the
human eye with some peripheral vision and seems to be more "realistic".
My first Nikon SLR came with a 50mm. I'd go for a 35mm to 70mm now.
(Actually, my personal favourite lens is my 24 to 50 zoom, which I leave
on my camera most of the time.)

> Also, the longer the lens the less depth of field you have.

Yep, I mentioned that. In there. Somewhere. *L*

> Holding
> close with a wider angle should give you more DOF.

And I've used my wide angle for FT pictures. For SG minis, I find that
you can't take shots of solitary figures with the wide angle. The other
problem is sometimes the depth of field is TOO great. Sometimes you want
that background nice and blurry.

Allan Goodall - agoodall@canada.com