Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens Next: re: [OT] Digital Cameras

Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:40:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

On  5-Apr-01 at 03:35, Jaime Tiampo (fugu@spikyfishthing.com) wrote:

> Or decent rank and file bowmen with longbows. The english longbow made
> it up to 100lbs and more. That can go through armour like hot knife
> through butter.
>
> Mostly I'm putting in the east view on this being a bitter opponent of
> the eurocentric model for everything. :)

If you are putting the east spin on things then why go with a
longbow?  The eastern composite bow outranged and outpulled
the European bows _and_ they regularly used special tips designed
to punch through armour*.  It is really amazing to me that a
design brought about by the lack of suitable wood turned out
to be more efficient.

Roger

* J. D. Latham and W. F. Paterson, Saracen Archery, Holland Press,

Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens Next: re: [OT] Digital Cameras