Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens Next: Re: Close Assaullt

Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@s...>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:01:54 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

John Atkinson wrote:

> Pikemen, pikemen.  Knights evolved into armored
> pistoleers during the 16th century.  Pikemen are what
> ended the era of the heavily armed lancer, not the
> crossbow.  By your account crossbows were in general
> use by the 11th century.  Knights were in widespread
> use until the French Wars of Religion.  The response
> to crossbowmen was to simply ride them down.	There is
> not enough time to get off more than a few volleys.
> In fact, I don't know of a single time when missle
> troops held off heavy cavalrymen unassisted until the
> invention of the socket bayonet.  Even at Crecy and
> Agincourt, the English had both tactical obstacles and
> dismounted men-at-arms to hold off the French.

China, 12th century. Chinese standing army had few calvalry men. Average
chinese troops were armed with crossbows and short swords. Course they
had the stirriped crossbow which allowed one handed reloading at high
rate. For quite awhile they were able to hold off northern excursions
into chinese territory. The "knight" was outdated by 9th century in
china. The advent of the grenade in the 12th century also brought down
finally the real effectiveness of the mounted calvary to a tactical
instead of overwhelming unit.

Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and SG-aliens Next: Re: Close Assaullt