Prev: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense Next: Re: [OT] Digital Cameras

Re: [OT] Digital Cameras

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 10:19:25 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Digital Cameras

Schoon wrote:
>>Because this is completely off-topic, please just respond to me and
not
>>the entire list. If anyone else is interested, I will summarize the
>
>Hi Rick,
>
>As MANY on the list are probably interested in taking pictures of their

>ships (or at Cons, etc.), I don't think that it's OT at all.
>
>And as I've just done some research and purchased a digital camera
myself
>(it should arrive tomorrow or Friday :-))
>
>Things that I looked at:
>1) Cost - how much are you willing to spend compared to how much
non-hobby
>use it'll get.
>http://shopper.cnet.com/ is a good source of comparison pricing once
>you've got a general idea what you want.

Cost of these things is always dropping the digital camera I had access
cost the owner Aust$1000 approximately, I've looked at cameras of
equivalent quality which now cost Aust$500 - 600. Don't let the money
burn
a hole in your pocket, be a careful shopper.

>2) Minimum focal length / Macro mode. This is really important if
you're
>planning to take close up pics of minis. The closer you can get
>(generally) the better.

Marco is a must.

>3) Optical / Digital Zoom. Optical is better than Digital for clarity,
but
>most cameras these days have a combination of both, either 2X/3X or
vice versa.

Always go for a camera Optical Zoom over digital, digital zoom does the
same thing that your paint program does when enlarging a image and you
end
up with a pixelated image. Also make sure the lens is glass not plastic.

>4) Size. If it's a pain in the <you know> to carry the thing around at
>Con, you won't. You'll leave it in the room/car, and no pictures will
get
>taken.

?????? :)

>5) Pixels. Anywhere from 1 to 3+ MP these days. What you need is
dependent
>on what you're going to use it for. For web-based stuff 1 MP will
suffice,
>but for printing them out as pictures, you'll want at least 2 MP.

I read that 1 megapixels is equivalent to 100 speed ISO film, the more
pixels the better resolution.

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense Next: Re: [OT] Digital Cameras