Prev: RE: [OT] CrossbowRe: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, is slightly OT

Re: Cheese factor

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cheese factor

On 3 Apr 2001 agoodall@canada.com wrote:

> On Tue, 03 April 2001, Andy Cowell wrote:
>
> > Yeah-- I wish he would attribute a lot of the facts he puts out.
>
> Agreed. And his "Recommended Books" are heavy on sci-fi and very light
on
> reference material.

Two books I've found recently that are worth a look: (sometimes I love
working in the library...)

- "Military Operations Other Than War" - LTC Keith E. Bonn, USA (ret) &
MSG Anthony E. Baker, USAR (ret); c. 2000 Stackpole Books, ISBN
0-8117-2939-7.

This is a technical operations manual, designed for the military reader.
can only assume our public library got it for the navy types out in
Esquimalt. It's interesting, once you hack through the acronyms. Lots of
information on all aspects of military operations, usually from the
on-scene commander's point of view (company or battalion).

The definition of military ops other than war that they give is grimly
amusing: "operations that are not meant primarily to kill people or
break
things - unless they have to."

It's given me some SG2 scenario ideas - restrictive ROEs are nasty!

The other book:

- "Soldiers of Diplomacy: The United Nations, Peacekeeping, and the New
World Order." Jocelyn Coulon; translated by P. Aronoff & H. Scott; c
1994/1998 University of Toronto Press. ISBN 0-8020-0899-2.

The 'new world order' bit will get some of our American listees excited,
but this is a good overview of UN peacekeeping, peace enforcing, and
interventions generally.

Not really directly related to GZG stuff - only a few scenario ideas -
but
a good political science book on the UN's military activities.
===

The first of these has more direct gaming applications - if you can get
copy on interlibrary loan it's worth some time.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -