Prev: Re: 54mm FMASk, is slightly OT Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, is slightly OT

Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:45:13 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

In message <20010404154649.14884.qmail@web9609.mail.yahoo.com>
	  David Griffin <carbon_dragon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I tried to look up AFHAWKs on the experimental
> search and was unable to find more than references.
> What is it and how does it work?

> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Well, to quote:

<begin>
AFHAWKS, AFSML`s, whatever you call them (I use the former), I think we
have
enough discusion for a concesus to be reached (or is it`s the end of the
week, so due to be wrapped up?). Still, one thing needs to be
considered.

STATS

AFHAWKS (AFSML)
Fired from SML launcher
Each round has a mass of 1 (cost x3)
Same intercept rolls as a SV interceptor pod (and KV scattergun?, no
book
handy)
Range=Do we go for 6 mu and 6 arc or 9 mu and only the 3 arcs covered by
the
launcher (due to someone saying the area is roughly the same for both)
Requires the use of a firecon to fire, even though the firecon can have
been
used earlier that turn. Can only be fired by a sml launcher that has not
fired this turn, and is fired in the pds phase.

Do we agree, or not. If so, what range do we use (I prefere 9 mu).

BIF
<end>

Was pretty well it.

Further thoughts about your SUMS concept - do you _really_ need the 50
mu range?

If you fire them as SMLs during the Launch Ordnance phase (after the
Move Fighter Groups phase), then any fighters that are more than 18 mu
away are incapable of reaching your ships this turn (12 mu secondary
move + 6 mu attack range).
So if you give your SUMS a range of 24 mu (like a SML/R) you can attack
fighters 'on the way in'.
Hmm.. you could use the SML/R mechanic, have a MASS 2 'standard' 24 mu
range version, and a MASS 3 'extended range' 36 mu range version.
In wich case it could be a varient of the AFHAWKS, AFHARKS-LR (long
range) and AFHAWKS-ER (Extreme/extended range).

Just my thoughts.

Prev: Re: 54mm FMASk, is slightly OT Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, is slightly OT