Prev: Re: FT:AFSML`s (for D Griffin) Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Re: [OT] CrossbowRe: [FT] ....

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:41:45 +0200
Subject: Re: [OT] CrossbowRe: [FT] ....

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

>I can't think of a way of draggin' this back on topic, but I was
reminded
>of somewhat later invention, an auto-crossbow. Apparently, the user, a
>relatively untrained serf or the like, was expected to hold the
trigger for
>3 or 5 shots at oncoming troops, then drop the dingus and run. Does
>anyone know of it?

IIRC it was a quite early invention, but only used in China. The one
I've seen demonstrated fired a dozen bolts in about 10 seconds, but the
bolts were light and the bow very weak so both range, penetration and
accuracy were poor. Would probably be quite effective against
unarmoured mobs though, particularly if the bolts were poisoned (which
IIRC at least one of the historical sources for it suggests).

But alas, it wasn't nearly as easy to operate as just "hold the
trigger". Rather more like a bolt-action gun :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: FT:AFSML`s (for D Griffin) Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense