Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: RE: Fighters and Defense

RE: Fighters and Defense

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 06:09:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Fighters and Defense

--- "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)"
> <Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil>

> Even in this lopsided 6:1 ratio, the interceptors
> fare pretty well, I think.
> though in this scenario, Group A at least will be
> destroyed on average, so
> breaking the dogfight will be unnecessary. I'd
> probably have the
> interceptors dogfight each squadron to death before
> moving on to the next.

Because of the alternating nature of dogfights,
even interceptors seem to get obliterated by
normal fighters, especially if there is a 2:1
or better margin. It seems like an interceptor
squadron will stop 1-2 enemy fighter squadrons
and the rest go on to the ships.

> Either way, it's pretty clear to me that an
> interceptor group + bay (9 mass,
> 36 pts) does pretty much what David Griffin wants a
> SUMS to do (Launcher+3
> rounds is 9 Mass, 27 pts), if not in exactly the
> same way.

Isn't it 9 mass, 27 points for the bay, 18 points
for the squadron = 9/45?

Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: RE: Fighters and Defense