Prev: Re: [SG] Scout units Next: Re: Reusing old figures

Re: Cheese factor

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:17:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Cheese factor

> I personally like a good edam, so you've got to realise how much
torture it
> is to open my email and find that cheese actually means unit
> organisation.....

Brie with butter, almonds and brown sugar, thanks

> Seriously though, not all of us know correct unit organisation, so
for
> those who do actually want to learn the helpful pointers to
resources and
> polite explanations are very helpful. However, on the flip side as
pointed
> out for the UN discussion this is science fiction so I'd anticipate
> little more flexibility.

Well, kind of.	However, there are going to be some basics  which make
some versions more efficient and others less.
a.   Guys bond, i.e. form teams, best with a relatively small
number--three to eight if I recall correctly.  The military ("of one
nation or another", he weasels) has done studies on this kind of
thing.
b.   You need enough guys in a fire team to look after each other and
cover all directions.
c.   You need to have enough subunits that your unit commander has
some maneuver choices--this is why most units have 3-5 subunits
instead of 2.
d.   On the other hand, you need few enough units that your commander
can keep track of them--this is why most units have 3-5 subunits
instead of 8-10, most people can't keep track of more than 4-5 things
at a time,

Therefore you will have 3-4 soldiers to a team, two or three teams to
a squad, three to five squads in a platoon, etc.  Higher units are
usually triangular or square, ie three or four major subunits, plus
attached support.

Prev: Re: [SG] Scout units Next: Re: Reusing old figures