Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: Squads (getting long)

Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:50:47 EDT
Subject: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

Well, we're back to what assumptions/models you use for the game <grin>.

Well, if you are interested in WW1 navy in space just drop all but ther
least effective type of fighters from play.  IIRC WW1 dive bombers were
not too likely to sink a ship.	any ship.  Maybe fighters are only to
the
level of SPADs in your games!

If you like WW2 in space then there is the idea of lots of PDS's and
CVL's with 1/3 torp, 1/3 interceptor and 1/3 standard fighters.
Although I don't see the WW2 aspect of forces never seeing each other
(except through pilot's eyes) occurring - but was very	common in WW2 in
PTO...

If you like "Modern" navy in space then you will need to remember that
the only major carrier forces in any number (tips of hat to Spain, USSR,
UK, France, and several one carrier navies) is American and they put a
lot of money into the interceptor/fighter F-14 and Phoenix missile to
insure that the interceptors engage the attack craft as far out as
possible.  While I didn't follow the AFHAWKS very closely they might be
useful as another band of defense.  Or how about AF-MT missiles (use AF
submunitions in MT missile hull.)

I'll let you fill in the blanks for my personal prejudice - the "Air
Force" model for FT. <VBG>

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel) You don't have to be
French
to be
a 'frog', or even human! Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard,
Dirtside 2,  Ratner's Space Marines and Full Thrust/FB1.  Resistance is
everything!
aka - Warbeads@juno.com (historicals) and Dwarf_warrior@juno.com
(Fantasy
and
6mm/10mm figures.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: Squads (getting long)