Prev: Reusing old figures Next: Re: Cheese factor

Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:53:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] UNSC (emotional rant)

--- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
> >Absender: Hosford.Donald@acd.net
> Now, the latter point is easy - the insurance
> companies themselves. In
> an open market, that should ensure fair rates: too
> high rates and nobody
> will ensure their stuff with them, too low rates and
> the insurance
> company will go under because it can't match its
> obligations.
>
> But the problems don't end there: who defines what
> damages to pay for
> an accident ? ...

I have a vague memory of a science fiction novel whose
premise was exactly this. The insurance companies had
"taken over" and WERE the government. It was quite
a boring world because the insurance company group
that ran everything was ruthlessly conservative. It's
title was something like "Preferred Risk" or something
like that. I think Frederick Pohl and Lester Del Rey
were the authors. I don't remember it as a super
great book, but the premise was interesting. I may
be misremembering it, it's been a long time.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Prev: Reusing old figures Next: Re: Cheese factor