Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: [SG2} - Figures Wanted

RE: Cheese factor

From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 10:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Cheese factor

OK, I know we have a lot of folks here from around the
world, so please pipe up with how your country does
these things.

I myself, live in the United States of America, and
spent 8 years in the United States Marine Corps.
Here's how we break things down.  Keep in mind I've
been out of The Corps for about 5 years.

FireTeam - smallest unit, comprised of 4 men.  The
FireTeam Leader is usually a Lance Corporal. The Point
Man and 2 Riflemen are usually Privates or PFCs.
(heavy weapon teams, called Gun Teams, have a Gun Team
Leader, A Point Man, and two heavy weapon Marines
called 'Gunners'  labeled as 'A Gunner' and 'B
Gunner')

Squad - comprised of 3 FireTeams and a Squad Leader,
for a total of 13 men.	The Squad Leader is usually a
Corporal or Sergeant.

Platoon - comprised of 3 squads, a Guide (usually a
Corporal or Sergeant), a Platoon Sergeant (usually a
Sergeant or Staff Sergeant), and a Platoon Commander
(usually a 1st or 2nd Lieutenant) for a total of 42
men.  Reinforced Platoons usually have at least 3 Gun
Teams (heavy weapon teams), one for each squad.

Company - comprised of 2 to 5 Platoons, a Company NCO
(usually a Staff Sergeant or Gunnery Sergeant), and a
Company Commander (usually a 1st Lieutenant or a
Captain).  One will usually be a HQ Platoon in which
the various support personnel are based (motor
transport, admin, etc.)

Battalion - (called a Battery if it is an artillery
unit) Comprised of 2 to 5 Companies, a Battalion NCO
(usually a 1st Sergeant or Master Sergeant), and a
Battalion Commander (Usually a Major or Lieutenant
Colonel).

Regiment - comprised of 2 to 5 Battalions, Regimental
NCO (usually a Sergeant Major), and a regimental
Commander (usually a Colonel).

this is a rough ladder of how units are organized in
the USMC.  Keep in mind, there are a million
variations depending on the specialization of the
unit, but this is the unit breakdown for a basic
Marine Rifleman Platoon.  Also, remember, you will
NEVER have anything larger then a Platoon without
artillery, armor, and air support.

Let me know if this helps.

--- "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)"
<Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil> wrote:
> [...]

=====
Thank You,

Shawn M Mininger

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Prev: Re: Fighters, missiles in FT Next: [SG2} - Figures Wanted