Prev: RE: Cheese factor Next: Re: 54mm FMASk, was Re: Just a thought

Re: Kh'iff

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 11:05:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Kh'iff

In message
<Pine.LNX.3.96.1010403093507.7003B-100000@derk.penguinpowered.com>,

:
> They are deeply religious people, who cannot accept the violation of
their
> lands for (fill in whatever cause of conflict you like). After their
> protests went unheard, they picked up arms to defend what they see as
> _theirs_.

I'll stick to the game mechanics here-- they're a doglike people.  You
can build whatever background up around that.

> - - Pack mentality
> The effect of this pack mentality is that Kh'iff squads test as one
> motivation level lower than normal, when they cannot see any other
Kh'iff
:
> The sole exception to the above rule are their expert
huntsmen/stalkers,
> (snipers)  who found the courage to face danger on their own, and
hence do

Wolf packs have a clear-cut hierarchy, but there is sometimes violent
encounters for leadership.  I'd maybe give them some sort of bonus for
communicating without a roll-- say, increase the range from 6" to 9"
or 12", especially if they're taking a hit on comm rolls due to low
tech.  This is for scents, better hearing, etc...  I'd also have the
main "pack" take worse morale rolls for losing a leader.

Perhaps the huntsmen are forced outside the pack because they pose a
challenge to the leadership.  Force them to stay a certain distance
from the pack leader, or both lose an action during activation, warily
watching the other for a threat.

> The Kh'iff wear heavy hide coats, giving them an effective armour of
D6
> (or would d8 be okay as well? d8 strikes me as a bit excessive, but
I'm

I think a base d6 would be good.

> curious what other people think?). I'm thinking of giving Kh'iff 8"/d8
> movement rate, even in their robes... Although I'd imagine they'd slow

This is what I did with my dog/cat Traveler figs (whatever those races
are).

> Kh'iff infantry is armed with a long range gauss rifle (read, regular
> gauss assault rifle, FP 2 - unless someone has a better suggestion),
and
> supported with automatic grenade launcher (the drum-fed weapon), and
gauss
> MG's. Their sniper have a highly accurate gauss sniper rifle.

Seems like dogs have better vision than us.  Perhaps give them a bonus
to hit, maybe only if the target unit moved this turn?

> - - Senses
>
> Even though the Kh'iff have no technologically advanced sensors, they
take
> sensor rolls at a D8 at the first two range bands (due to their highly
> developed sense of smell), and on a D6 at longer ranges if in their
own
> habitat, D4 otherwise.

Sounds good.

> - - EW
>
> Yeah, rrrrright. However, I'd like the Kh'iff to have some ability to
be
> sneaky bastards. Any suggestions here?

Downshift for others to detect them in hiding?

> - - Sneaky movement
>
> Kh'iff suffer one less penalty due to group size, as they are used to
> hunting with their fellow squaddies.

?  What rule is this?

> - - Close Combat
>
> The Kh'iff are very sensitive to the weight of numbers. I'd like to
give
> them an extra penalty if outnumbered, and a bonus if outnumbering. Is
this
> feasible or does this wreck the system?

Well, the first thing is that DOGS SMELL FEAR!	If they're within
charge distance of an enemy squad that is Shaken or worse, they have
to pass a reaction test (+0, Shaken; +1 Broken; +3 Routed) at the
start of their turn OTW they MUST CC that unit.

I like the numbers thing.  Maybe they get a bonus if they combine
their attack with another squad.