Prev: Re: Cheese factor Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting

Re: Fighters and Defense

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 06:59:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters and Defense

--- "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@yahoo.com>

> SUMS costs the same as a salvo missile
> launcher to install (3 for the launcher and 2
> each for each reload). Point cost is 3xthe
> mass of the weapons (as standard). The
> symbol is a circle containing a salvo missile
> symbol and the letter S, with a line to the
> magazine.
>
> > Maximum range is 50".
>
> This is longer range than any normal weapon in the
> game.

The point is to get ONE shot at the fighters before
they get into range. Another better mechanic if
you can think of one would be fine to accomplish
that. Effectively this adds the middle line of
defense our own modern CVN fleet enjoys but which
our FT ships do not. If the 50" bothers you, then
change it to getting one shot with the SUMS the
first turn they move into some lesser range, but
in the event they move all the way to your ship,
you still get a shot while they're moving into
range.

In other words, say you decide the range is 18".
The fighters start out 25" and move to right
next to your ship. After the fighters moved, you'd
get one shot at them as them moved into range.
I don't really care, I just want that middle line
of defense. I wouldn't want to fight a modern
naval wargame without my SAMs either.

 Your later comment
> "Surely a system like
> this is not out of the technological reach of the
> particpants." Is IMO belied by the fact that only
> extreme (Class 5 beams)
> and genre weapons have ranges like this.
>
> If they're missiles, they have to be fired at
> missile launch phase. Any
> fighter with a secondary move should be able to
> avouid them with ease. If
> they can't escape, then this system is a 50"
> scattergun. I don't think salvo
> missile costs will quite cut it.

These would be fired after the fighters moved.
Otherwise as you say, they would be useless.

> My conclsion: Even if fighters are slightly
> overpowered (something I
> disagree with, certainly if you use morale rules),
> then SUMS are overkill.

So the idea that someone could build a long range
missile system to kill space fighters is crazy
talk, is it? But building fighters that can
go 36" in one direction, stop on a dime and rocket
back the next turn is an easy technological feat?

Prev: Re: Cheese factor Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting