Prev: Aliens APC - Leading Edge Games - For Sale or Trade Next: RE: Cheese factor

RE: Cheese factor

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:22:25 -0400
Subject: RE: Cheese factor

<fugu@spikyfishthing.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Ok, we played a few games today of SG and my PA was classed as a bit
> >over the top.
> >
> >PA Squad:
> >Heavy, Fast
> >1 command figure (Advanced Assult /w gl)
> >1 trooper (Advanced Assult /w gl)
> >2 troopers (Advanced Assult /w gl & MLR)
> >1 SAW gunner (Gatling SAW)
>
> Okay, so far so good...

[snip]

> >On second complaint, how many platoons do people generally have on
the
> >board before they put on an over all commander aka company commander.
>
> Typically I'd figure you had to have a majority of the platoon on the
> table.
> It depends on the scenario. If you have a company of three infantry
> platoons
> and one PA platoon, I'd say you had to have at leat three of the four
> platoons
> on the table before the company commander is present. I can see a
> scenario,
> though, where an enemy unit has crashed through the lines and is
hitting a
> company command area. You could have little more than a reinforced
platoon
> protecting the company commander, but the company commander is on site
> help. (If I was creating this kind of scenario, I'd probably have some
> sort of
> scenario rule to see if the company commander has to deal with any
> interruptions from the rest of the company, maybe with some sort of
test
> when
> it activates).

[Bri] I would agree here. I would suggest that at a MINIMUM you have 2/3
of
your company squads on the board (counting the command squad/platoon or
3/4
not counting the command squad platoon).

> Again, it depends on the scenario. However, if this is a "design a
TO&E
> and
> bring your figures" type engagement, I think your group needs to put
in
> some
> ground rules. Perhaps only allow a company commander if there's an
entire
> company on the board. Or, only if there is a majority, as mentioned
above.
> think you need to have the TO&Es figured out ahead of time and checked
out
> for
> validity.
>
> SG2 doesn't do this kind of thing well, without an understanding
amongst
> players, because it has no point system. I would suggest limiting each
> side to
> a total number of squads or platoons. PA should count as two infantry
> squads,
> and count as 1 for the purposes of deciding if the company commander
is on
> the
> table. For instance, say you are going to field 3 platoons and that
you
> have
> to have a majority of platoons in a four platoon company in order to
bring
> in
> the company commander. You could choose one infantry and one PA
platoon
> (equivalent to 3 infantry platoons) but you'd lose the chance to have
the
> company commander. Or, you could put 3 infantry platoons and get the
> company
> commander as you have 3 out of 4 platoons on the table.

[Bri] I have often seen PA selected as roughly equivilent to 2 normal
soldiers. Has anyone toyed with the idea of making command worth more in
this rough firguring?
An untested example would be to make Leaders = 1 soldier x command
level. So
it would be: Squad Leader x2 soldier, Platoon Leader x3 soldier, Company
Commander x5 soldier (then 10x, 20x, 40x...).
Or Leader = 1 + 0.10 (round up) of the forces he leads (PA count as 2).
So a
Squad Leader would be 1 + .10 * 3 soldiers = 2 soldiers. Platoon (8)
Leader
would be 1 + .10 * 7 soldiers = 3 soldiers. A PA Platoon (6) Leader
would be
2 + .10 * (2 * 5 soldiers) = 3 soldiers. A Company Leader (1 PA Platoon,
3
Rifle Platoon, 1 Command Squad (4)) would be 1 + ((.10 * 6 * 2) + (3 *
(.10
* 8)) + (.10 * 3)) = 1 + 1.2 + 2.4 + .3 = 4.9 = 5 soldiers
So taking a Company of 1 Command Squad, 1 PA Platoons and 3 Rifle
Platoons
(34 soldiers) would count as 44.

> Another option is to give your TO&E to your opponents and let THEM
select
> your
> forces. Likewise, you would select theirs.

[Bri] What level of TO&E would you have to design out to? How would this
work? I.e. If your TO&E only goes to the company level, it would do no
good
to have your opponent choost a company from the TO&E. I imagine that the
TO&E would have to be made out at least 1 level up from the level you
are
going to field. This could also be done randomly (to hid the exact
composition of your forces). I.e. You have the TO&E for a Brigade. Each
of
your companies are numbered. You roll to see which company you field (or
roll x times to determine the companies that you field).

[Bri] I also saw a suggestion, somewhere, that you field the units that
you
desire, but then randomly remove 10% of the individual figures from the
forces (represents loses from previous combat)[Company of 43 would loose
4
soldiers picked at random - I suggest using d% to select]. This could
remove
a Leader, or leave a "platoon" of 4 soldiers, depending on which random
figures were removed.

> Allan Goodall 		 awg@sympatico.ca
> Goodall's Grotto:  http://www.vex.net/~agoodall
--- End Original Message ---

My comments above marked by [Bri]

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
http://www.ftsr.org/
---

Prev: Aliens APC - Leading Edge Games - For Sale or Trade Next: RE: Cheese factor