Prev: RE: Fleet Escorts Next: Re: Fleet Escorts

RE: WotD Laser Targeting

From: "Brian Bell" <bkb@b...>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:21:13 -0500
Subject: RE: WotD Laser Targeting

I sent this earlier, but it got lost in E-mail Limbo.

I would make the designator a dedicated figure. You could argue that the
laser rifle could be set up as the designator. But it would need to have
secondary power setting (one for damage, one for designating). It would
also
need to be able to send a coded binary signal (binary or spectrum
shift).
This code would be matched by a specific GMS Squad, Vehicle, or site (if
defending). The code would be sent automatically when the designator
locks
on to the target. So I would make this a firing action, but subject to
normal EW communication rules. If the comm roll is successful (GMS
station
may be busy firing at something else), the missile is launched (and
lands)
next turn.

After much of this discussion, I agree with the comment that normal ECM
would counter any designating advantage (so no shift in guidance). But
it
would allow for GMS to be fired without LOS from a clear area (no
woods).

---
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net