Prev: Re: Wargame Table Question Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting

Re: Wargame Table Question

From: Bob Waller <cpbelt@a...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:34:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Wargame Table Question

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> >I mentioned this a while back on the Warmaster list I'm on. My plan
is
> >to use a 'hollow core door' for my table. You can buy these in all
sorts
> >of widths and can special order a 48" wide version for the same price
as
> >an off the shelf version. All doors are 80" long.
>
> What a great idea! How wide is a standard door?

Go down to your local Home Depot, Lowes, ect. They come in a variety of
widths. You don't need to buy the more expensive versions either. I know
our local Depot here had some real upscale versions!

Check the surface of the door. Make sure it is smooth and nothing
flaking off the edges. I saw some real rejects one day in a Depot I
stopped in. Even if smooth, a light brush with some fine grit sand paper
will usually help give a nice finish, get off any dirt, and give a nice
fine tooth for the paint to adhere to. A nice touch is to add some nice
drawer handles to the length. I found this touch makes it very easy to
handle by youself (as long as the handles are arms length apart!). Plus
if the table is decorated, two people can move it better than if it
didn't have the handles for many reasons. Just browse the Depot's
shelves for neat ideas there.

If you don't flock the table, make sure you put on a sturdy coat of
clear varnish.

Hope this helps.

Prev: Re: Wargame Table Question Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting