Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #5: AFHAWKS End Next: Re: Heavy Flamers was "Re: [SG] WotW"

Re: [FT] Rules Questions

From: "Morgan Vening" <morgan@o...>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:03:57 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Rules Questions

Date sent:		Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:07:37 -0800 (PST)
From:			Shawn M Mininger <smininger@yahoo.com>
Subject:		Re: [FT] Rules Questions
To:			gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Send reply to:		gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu

> Honostly, fighter swarming seems like a valid tactic
> to me, especially if you're playing a campaign where
> you are conquering planets and using limited resources
> to build your fleet.	Fighters are great for system
> defense (my starbases have tons of fighters because
> they are only protecting the starsystem they are based
> at and don't need FTL)  Fighters are also great as
> attrition units as they are cheap and can be produced
> fast.
>
> In my mind, fighter swarming is no different then
> building ships with a ton of missles.

I think the big problem the initial poster is having, is one I
mentioned a while back. The difference between using a 'missile
boat', and a 'fighter boat', is that a missile boat's offensive
capability can be destroyed by killing the launching ship. Whereas
Fighters fight on, often long after their main ship(and only ride
home) is destroyed.

> Plus, the race that I use in our campaigns is the
> Fungarians....heh eh heh essentially sentient
> mushrooms.  They build 'SporeFleets'	which are VERY
> heavy on fighters (Spores).
>
> I suppose that it would really depend on if you are
> playing morale rules....very few cultures would throw
> away people to what is essentially kamakazi attacks.

The Morale rules as written, help. But they don't remove the
problem mentioned above. Some people on the list, don't see it as
a problem. Others don't see an easy enough change for it. And
finally some of us just restrict ourselves to printed lists to avoid
having to play against soap bubble carriers.

Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #5: AFHAWKS End Next: Re: Heavy Flamers was "Re: [SG] WotW"