Prev: Wargame Table Question Next: Re: Fire Order WAS Re: Chit-based FT? Re: Fleet Escorts

RE: WotD Laser Targeting

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 00:42:33 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: RE: WotD Laser Targeting

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Derk Groeneveld wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Robertson, Brendan wrote:
> >
> >>Oh, goody.	Something that says "shoot me" in even bigger neon
> >>letters... ;-)
> >
> >How so? Laser beams aren;t the star-wars big neon beams that nicely
> >rail all the way back to the designator?
>
> They come pretty damn close, I'm afraid.

> Today's laser warners, ie the ones included in the ECM suites of many
> of today's modern MBTs, are pretty good at detecting both that you're
> being lazed and the general direction the beam comes from. Accurate
> enough to lay a smoke screen to cut the beam before the missile
arrives
> unless the missile is almost at the target when the beam is switched
> on; maybe also accurate enough to send a couple of HE grenades towards
> the beam source.
>
> I very much doubt that future laser warners are going to be less
> efficient.

So, you'll have a rough direction you're being lazed from. I'd suggest
it
would make spotting easier, but it's still nowhere near as obvious as,
say, the signature of a missile launch. (Which would also show on any IR
surveillance gear)

I do agree that a smokescreen would be an appropriate response, as well
as
suppressive fire (recon by fire?).

> So yes, someone painting a tank *is* pretty much saying "shoot me" in
> neon letters :-/

More of a _THREAT IN AREA_ sign, IMO ;)

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6xQveJXH58oo6ncURArNpAKDwoUwVFYAxeGRrGcFjpYVMlna2VACfVKmm
5csQtSYkeEYW2Momty2P4sI=
=WgLm

Prev: Wargame Table Question Next: Re: Fire Order WAS Re: Chit-based FT? Re: Fleet Escorts