Prev: RE: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: [FT] B5 Ships Scale Question

Re: WotD Laser Targeting

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:23:20 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: WotD Laser Targeting

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Jaime Tiampo wrote:

> "Robertson, Brendan" wrote:
> >
> > Oh, goody.	Something that says "shoot me" in even bigger neon
letters...
> > ;-)
>
> Yup :) Forgot to add that you could fire a GMS back along the beam to
> the targeter.

Errr. You'd have to know exactly where he was coming from, first? And
the
big difference here is that the laser is only illuminating, say, a spot
on
the rear half of your hull. THAT spot will be very visible, since light
gets diffracted in all directions from it. Assuming the laser is well
lined out and properly focussed, it will be rather hard to detect from
anywhere outside that angle. So your missile would first need to get
within that beam. Whcih would probably fry it's optics anyway ;)

Cheers,

  Derk
> > 2.	    Make the comms roll both Ld added (ie: Red 2 calling Green 3
=> roll
> > 6+ on d12).
>
> Well since that's only done when trying to boost moral of a unit I'd
> stay away from that mechanic. Perhaps rolling as artillery fire.

Especially since it should be pretty easy to automate. Adding the values
makes it a very difficult thing indeed, where it already is every day
practice with apache and kiowa( I think) scout helicopter?

> > You don't want to be doing this while in the open, as your opponent
would
> > get an action to negate the problem (as you couldn't fire the GMS
until your
> > next activation, same as 0 inbound artillery).
> > Also, the laser designator would probably need to replace one of the
regular
> > squaddies weapons (or IAVR).
>
> I'd say you'd have to have a designated laser carrier. He could have a
> rifle and the laser but that's it.

Yup.

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6xEJ7JXH58oo6ncURAoI8AKCGuOIayK3VWZGxpP0K4JoPstCcjgCg4tmD
qCcLma6XaUKz+6xntctUHkg=
=gtH0

Prev: RE: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: [FT] B5 Ships Scale Question