Prev: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle Next: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

Close Assaullt

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:49:39 -0500
Subject: Close Assaullt

Kevin wrote:
Doesn't that veteran have to make a confidence check
at +8 just to get into close combat with 9 greens? I
think I'm right on this, but I don't have my book with
me.

If so, even a veteran 1 only has a 10 percent chance
of ever getting into that situation, he would have to
roll a 10 to pass. A veteran 2 could never pass the
confidence check.

Tomb replies:
Depends. Yes, I agree with you, if the figure has a choice. At some
point,
depending on how you read close assault (and this was a thread of length
short while ago), the figure may NOT retreat from the combat. The fact
he
can then kill all these guys with one good roll is utterly silly.

I've seen far to many vets close assault larger units (maybe only 3x as
big,
but still big enough) and roll well, and have the defender not even
bother
picking up a die. This effect should be minimized by some die shifts for
odds....

Or think of the other side: I bring 2 x as many regulars as you have....
yet
you fight me at equal odds. Even if I bring 3x as many guys. In real
close
range fighting, odds do tend to matter, all other factors being equal.

Prev: Re: Escort class vessels in line of battle Next: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku