Prev: Re: [FT] Activations & MASS Next: Re: Starship Basing Alternatives)

Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@y...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:19:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Customized Sa'Vasku

No, he doesn't subscribe to this mailing list, heh heh
heh I wish, then he'd see gaming in a different
light....9one meant to have fun, not just win.

Basically, he's a power gamer.......it tickles him to
no end to abuse other players repeatedly.  I finally
told him that I would no longer play Full Thrust with
him if he played Sa'Vasku.  I hated saying that, but
it was getting rediculous.

Folks, let me tell you how to design an unstoppable
Sa'Vasku.......it's real simple.........4 stingers, 4
fire controls, medium hull, and  AS MUCH POWER AS
POSSIBLE!!!

Here's what happens, I should know, I got reamed about
20 times this way.

We each take a 3000pt fleet.  I get a decent mix of
ships (I actually like faster ships so I tend to favor
carrier groups....lots of speedy fighters and
escorts!!), meanwhile, my buddy builds his one 3000pt
Sa'Vasku ship using the aforementioned build concept.

Turn 1:

Plot Movement.....I send forces forward, aft,
starboard, it doesn't matter.  My buddy sits at the
edge of the board, maybe moving 1 inch......maybe not.

We roll initiative........let's say that I win.....I
am still to far to fire.  My friends turn....he juices
up his stingers to bigtime range and takes out four of
my escorts immediately.

Turn 2:

Plot Movement.....I send forces forward, aft,
starboard, it doesn't matter.  My buddy sits at the
edge of the board, maybe moving 1 inch......maybe not.

We roll initiative........let's say that I win.....I
am still to far to fire.  My friends turn....he juices
up his stingers to bigtime range and takes out four of
my escorts immediately.....again.

Turn 3:

Plot Movement.....I send forces forward, aft,
starboard, it doesn't matter.  My buddy sits at the
edge of the board, maybe moving 1 inch......maybe not.

We roll initiative........let's say that I win.....I
might be in range of a few of my weapons......but
wait, most of my fleet is already gone before I ever
got close enough to fire!!!  So, I do what I can and
try to unleash my capital ships (as all my smaller
ships are gone by now) He has no problem taking a few
hits from me at long range.  My friends turn....he
juices up his stingers and combines fire and takes out
my battleship.	He does this in one turn because now
that range is shorter (for him), he can literally pump
a load of energy into vaporizing me with one
devestating hit.

Next round...there goes my carrier.......etc, etc,
etc.

Anyone else run into this sort of problem before?

The Sa'Vasku are cool, but they are too easy to make
unbeatable.......just make sure you design your ships
with massive amounts of power......nothing can get
close...you can hit at nearly any range.....swarming
with needle ships won't work as you can't get them
close enough before they are vaporized.  Even fighters
won't do as he always takes plenty of fighter
protection.

Heh heh heh so finally, I told him, NO MORE.   We play
with the human technologies (which don't suffer as
badly from 'monolith syndrone')  or we play with ships
straight outta the book.

Heh heh well, sorry folks, thanks for letting me vent
off some steam.....I went a good 6 months getting
smoked by the Sa'Vasku before I put my foot
down....Heh heh heh I tried every tactic I could think
of.  It almost ruined the game for me.

--- Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk>
wrote:
> In message <00a701c0b787$500d70e0$1a468bca@avis>

> M Mininger
> > > > >
> > > [snip]

> Sa'Vasku!!!!	If
> ships, they
> build your
> Example: If
> takes
> over!!!
> >
> > Try 20 or so 50 pt ships - he won't have enough
> FCs to get
> > all of em, and if they're armed with the right
> gear, say FT
> > missiles, he's toast.
> >
> > Unless he has lots of Fighter wombs...
> >
> That's a point, does he invest in things like
> spicules, pod launchers,
> the aforementioned drone wombs etc.?
>
> Also, does he subscribe to this mailing list?
>
> Charles

=====
Thank You,

Shawn M Mininger

Prev: Re: [FT] Activations & MASS Next: Re: Starship Basing Alternatives)